Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Zhi shao hai you ni

Well, since we find ourselves back in China with the previous post, a few more posts on that theme. This is one of those unknown gems that I have my wife to thank for. Together with Faye Wong, Sandy Lam is one of the best-loved mandarin pop singers. Overall, Faye Wong is more adventurous in her choice of repertoire, but this beautiful love song (the tile's translation is At least I still have you) from her 2000 album Sandy's is better than anything Faye produced. The almost too sweet lyrics (sample in translation: I'm afraid that there's not enough time, I wanna hold you until I feel that your wrinkles show signs of aging , until I'm sure that you're real, until I've lost all my energy - I'm willing to, because of you) are encompassed in a beautiful melody with great piano playing and a well-judged guitar solo gives some beef to the song as well.
Art Rock score: 10/10 (brilliant masterpiece, one of 200 best songs of all time)

YouTube