Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Explored

When I posted a shot I took of our cocker spaniel Jazz, I stated that this was "the first (and so far the only) shot of mine that has reached the (in)famous Flickr Explore walhalla - the daily selection of 500 best shots from all over Flickr, done by an algorithm that no-one understands." Well, I stand corrected. I recently found out that two of my shots from our China trip have made Explore as well: the previouly posted Beijing Belle, and the shot above, which I took in a Shanghai underground bookstore. I still don't get how this works. Flickr states that they rank according to what they call interestingness (derived via said obscure algorithm) - but these three shots rank at numbers 29, 84 and 137 of the shots in my own Flickr photostream according to the same calculation. So why these three, and not the dozens "more interesting" ones of my shots? The mind boggles. Well, at least they picked three shots I really like.

Camera: Canon Powershot Pro1 8 Megapixels, handheld (well, resting on a table actually)
Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
Aperture: f/2.4
Focal Length: 7.2 mm
Post-processing: Picasa 3.0

Flickr