Friday, July 17, 2009

Langlois bridge at Arles

In the series Paintings, I like to draw attention to masters outside the most well-known, or alternatively, to lesser known paintings of the best known artists. This one obviously belongs to the second category. Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890) is widely known for 20-30 of his most famous works, but there are so many other great ones in his repertoire. The one depicted above, from a series on this theme of a bridge in Arles created in 1888, is actually my favourite one, ever since I had a reproduction hanging in my room when I was a teenager. I have seen the original a number of times, and it was a special experience a few years ago to visit Arles and actually see the bridge itself which is well preserved. More on van Gogh in the wikipedia article linked to below.