Monday, August 17, 2009

Composition part 3: framing within the frame

The third in a series on basic composition rules to further enhance the quality of your photographs if you are not aware of them yet - the first one, dealing with the rule of thirds, can be found here, the second one, dealing with the background choice, can be found here. I am using an article on the site Amateur Snapper as a guideline here, but providing examples from my own stream. One of the fun things for me in posting this series is the realization that I am really underusing some compositional elements. A case in point is the frame within the frame, utilizing a naturally occuring see-through element as part of the composition. I was hard pressed to find an example in my Flickr photo stream, as the best one that I found had already been used in the My photography series (Morningmood), but in the end the above Shanghai shot (The photographer) qualifies. To quote the Snapper site: The world is full of objects which make perfect natural frames, such as trees, archways and holes. By placing these around the edge of the composition you help to isolate the main subject from the outside world. The result is a more focussed image which draws your eye naturally to the main point of interest. Once more also, we have the rule of thirds in this composition. The supporting lines of the central square are very close to the imagined rule of thirds lines and the main subject, the photographer, is located on the left centre line of the thirds grid.