Friday, September 11, 2009

I can't see New York

And to round off this 9/11 triptych, a beautiful video made for Tori Amos' I can't see New York. An outstanding track from her phenomenal 2002 comeback album Scarlets walk, a concept album of a fictious travel through America after the terrorist attack. No other track is clearer with respect to the overlying theme than this one, where Scarlet (Tori) feels what a woman on top of one of the doomed planes went through as she died, in expressive lyrics such as: "You said you could find me here and you said you would find me even in death and you said you'd find me, but I can't see New York as I'm circling down through white cloud, falling out and I know his lips are warm, but I can't seem to find my way out ...". One of those rare songs that always choke me up.
Art Rock score: 10/10 (brilliant masterpiece, one of 200 best songs of all time)

YouTube