Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Heartattack in a layby

Today marks the one year anniversary of my heart attack. For the occasion, one of my favourite and very fitting Porcupine Tree songs.

The album In Absentia is really an embarrassment of riches, and I keep finding new nuggets every time I play it. By early 2007, this was the fifth track of the album that makes my list of greatest songs - and then it still took half a year to get moved to 10/10 status. A deceivingly simple, highly melodic track, Heartattack in a layby evokes a profound sadness that suits its lyrics of a man who is planning to make up with his wife, but is suffering a heart attack on the side of the road. The multi-layered vocals and beautiful acoustic guitar play suit the atmosphere particularly well.
Art Rock score: 10/10 (brilliant masterpiece, one of 200 best songs of all time)

YouTube