Sunday, February 05, 2012

Mahler's Kindertotenlieder analysed

Just now I finished listening once more to one of the absolute masterpieces of classical music, Mahler's Kindertotenlieder (Songs on the Death of Children), albeit in a version I had not heard before (by mezzo soprano Klara Takacs and the Hungarian State Orchestra under Gyorgy Lehal). Once more I was struck by the intense emotional power of this song cycle, and especially the end where the turmoil, anger and despair suddenly make way for a calm and soothing glimpse of heaven. One of the few pieces of music where I simply cannot play anything else afterwards for a while. In silence I sat and googled my way to a wonderful art-icle about this song cycle by Singaporean conductor and composer Derek Lim. It is a fascinating read, especially if you love this music as much as I do. Image sourced from here.

web site