Monday, July 02, 2012

Harbor wall abstraction

This is my favourite shot of the year so far, and one of the best I have ever created in my opinion. It makes me happy for two quite different reasons. The first one is that I shot it right here in Kampen, showing that my inspiration is coming back. Secondly, it received very high praise in the composition blog of Rick Yagodich (my Flickr friend word artist). A short summary of his comments (for the full analysis click here): "Hennie’s abstractions of shape are becoming ever more refined, compositionally. Here, as well as the obvious combination of lines and curves, we have the interplay of light and shadow, and some excellent use of (secondary and tertiary) golden ratios. A perfect balance of forms and contrasts, sitting on all the right intersections." It is actually not what many people think: there is no shadow play at work here at all. The shape I captured and cropped like this is the decoration of the Kampen harbor...

Camera: Canon IXUS 115 HS, 12 Megapixels, handheld
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/5.9
Focal Length: 20 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Post-processing: Picasa 3.0

Flickr