Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Bad translator

At first sight, the linked web site that demonstrates the incompetence of on-line translation programmes is more Potpourri material - and indeed, before the purge of my parallel blog, I featured something similar a few times in recurring posts. However, by using song lyrics as starting point, and given the surreal almost artistic results after 35 random translations to different languages and back to English, I think it fits here as well. A few examples:

Form Don McLean's Vincent: "Starry starry night, flaming flowers that brightly blaze, swirling clouds in violet haze reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue." becomes "Burning a CD is a short list of constellations in the sky, the stars, Vincent Chin, a blue haze and purple at night."

From Porcupine Tree's Fear of a blank planet: "I'm stoned in the mall again, terminally bored. Shuffling round the stores, and shoplifting is getting so last year's thing. X-Box is a god to me, a finger on the switch, my mother is a bitch. my father gave up ever trying to talk to me." becomes "The last chapter of the hole of this man of the night. Inclusion of parents (DeWitt) Xbox God Hama that bright as I stream."

From 10CC's I'm Mandy, fly me: "I've often heard her jingle, it's never struck a chord. With a smile as bright as sunshine, she called me through the poster and welcomed me aboard." becomes "He didn't know who for most of the time, with a smile, is heard in the background. Japan logo sticker. Ackoil car phone."

Try it for yourself, but be warned: it is addictive!

web site