Saturday, July 13, 2013

Arizona

June 2013 marked the 40th anniversary of me being interested in the Dutch Top40 as broadcast weekly at that time by Veronica. To celebrate this piece of my youth, I intend to make Saturday Top40 1973 day in this blog for the rest of the year - providing a link to the list of that day 40 years ago and selecting my favourite song of the new entries of that week. This afternoon we feature the list of 14 July 1973, and my pick of the newcomers of that week was more difficult than usual. There were five new entries, two of which (Slade and Suzi Quatro) qualify for the "MP3 player quality" recognition, but two others are even among the best songs of all time in my opinion. In the end, I picked the less known one of the two over the Carpenters' classic Yesterday once more. Arizona by the Dutch band the Buffoons is a great piece of early Dutch country pop and I love it. Art Rock score: 9/10 (very strong song, one of 650 best songs of all time).

YouTube