Saturday, April 25, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 35. Arms of Mary (Sutherland Brothers & Quiver)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #35, we find Arms of Mary by the British folk rock band Sutherland Brothers & Quiver (#1 in 1976). The main claim to fame for the Sutherland Brothers had been that they had penned the Rod Stewart million seller Sailing. Then came the summer of 1976 and Arms of Mary, taken from the album Reach for the sky, suddenly raced up the charts in Europe. Art Rock score: 9/10 (awesome song, one of the 1000 best of all time).

YouTube