Saturday, June 20, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 27. 100 Years (Joey Dyser)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #27, we find Dutch singer Joey Dyser with 100 Years (#1 in 1975). Amsterdam reporter Josje Duister used to write songs and sing them as a hobby, when one day her neighbour, producer Albert Gemerts, invited her to his studio to make some professional recordings. One of the songs was her self-penned ballad 100 Years, which was released as a single under the name Joey Dyser, and went straight to the top, followed by huge sales in Belgium and Germany as well. Josje Duister enjoyed the success, but decided that her job and her family were more important. Silence ever after. A pity, because to my taste this song, with its peculiar drums only introduction, was one of the better Dutch hits of the seventies. Art Rock score: 9/10 (awesome song, one of the 1000 best of all time).

YouTube