Saturday, July 25, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 22. Losing my religion (REM)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #22, we find REM with Losing my religion (#1 in 1991). This track from the album Out of time is still one of their signature tunes, and a regular feature in list of all-time favourite songs all over the world. The title itself initiated much, and until today unresolved, discussion. Was it just an old Southern saying that sounded good? Total gibberish? Or an admission of something more personal by singer and lyricist Michael Stipe? The melody is among the best in their vast repertoire whilst the instrumentation, with acoustic plucked string instruments dominating, is great. Art Rock score: 9/10 (awesome song, one of the 1000 best of all time).

YouTube