Saturday, July 18, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 23. One of us (ABBA)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #23, we find Sweden's main export product ABBA with One of us (#1 in 1982). This single was their last major international hit. The carefree days of songs like WaterlooRing ring and Mamma Mia were clearly light years behind them. Personal conflicts, leading to divorces of both couples that made up the band, had unavoidably taken their toll and their songs started to show it. That said, One of us is one of their best songs, and its bitter theme about separation still strikes a chord like few others. Art Rock score: 9/10 (awesome song, one of the 1000 best of all time).

YouTube