Saturday, August 29, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 17. A whiter shade of pale (Procol Harum)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #17, we find Procol Harum's A whiter shade of pale. One of those songs everyone knows. Also one of those songs where the most outrageous wrong claims circulate on the internet. I wish I would get a euro for every time I have seen someone claim that this is a cover of Bach's Air. It is not, as a simple side-by-side comparison will show to anyone who has ears. The melody and the harmonies are akin to Bach though, and actually his Sleepers awake would be a stronger case to claim as an inspiration source. A world wide number one, and deservedly so. Art Rock score: 9/10 (awesome song, one of the 1000 best of all time).

YouTube