Saturday, September 26, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 13. Smalltown boy (Bronski Beat)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #13, we find Bronski Beat with Smalltown boy (#1 in 1984). The career of this band around Jimmy Sommerville was short but dramatic. Their very first single, Smalltown boy, taken from the 1983 debut album The age of consent, became a smash hit, partially because of the great clip on MTV, but mainly on its musical strength. Moreover, the story in the song, about a boy who has to run away from home when his father finds out he is gay, appealed to many in the target customers group. Jimmy later left the band to join the Communards. Art Rock score: 9/10 (awesome song, one of the 1000 best of all time).

YouTube