Saturday, November 21, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 5. Nothing compares 2 U (Sinead O'Connor)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #5, we find Sinead O'Connor with Nothing compares 2 U (#1 in 1990). This Prince song catapulted her to the top of the charts all over the world, including a four weeks spell at #1 in both the UK and the USA. The video clip helped - who can forget her shaven head and the tears on her cheeks? Whereas the clip admittedly bordered on kitsch, from a musical point of view there is nothing wrong with this beautiful love song, and certainly nothing wrong with the sincere personal heartfelt rendition. Art Rock score: 10/10 (brilliant song, one of the 200 best of all time).

YouTube