Saturday, November 07, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 7. Angie (Rolling Stones)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #7, we find The Rolling Stones with Angie (#1 in 1973). This song from the album Goats Head Soup was released as a single when I was 16, just at the time that I really started to get interested in pop and rock music. Nothing in their repertoire comes close to this world-wide number one hit, a heartfelt mournful ballad about a doomed love. The inspiration for the lyrics have speculatively been attributed to varied sources: Keith Richards' long time love, Anita Pallenberg, David Bowie's ex-wife, Angela Bowie, and even David Bowie himself, whom Angela claimed to have once found in bed with Jagger (it was in fact Keith Richards' daughter Angela who inspired the name choice). "Everywhere I look, I see your eyes...." Art Rock score: 10/10 (brilliant song, one of the 200 best of all time).

YouTube