Saturday, December 19, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 1. Private investigations (Dire Straits)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #1, we find Dire Straits with Private investigations (#1 in 1982). Close to seven minutes of gloomy chords, with guitars and marimba dominating, and an almost mumbled text. The whole thing perfectly evokes an old black and white detective movie, with Humphrey Bogart in the leading role, disillusioned and disgusted by the lives and the lies of the people he is paid to watch: "What have you got at the end of the day? What have you got to take away? A bottle of whiskey, and a new set of lies, blinds on the windows and a pain behind the eyes." Art Rock score: 10/10 (brilliant song, one of the 200 best of all time).

YouTube