Saturday, December 05, 2015

The best Dutch #1 hits: 3. Vienna (Ultravox)

As posted here, the Dutch top40 chart celebrated its 50th birthday in January this year. When I posted about that event, I included my top50 songs that made the top40 chart in the past. I was intrigued how few of my favourite songs actually made the #1 position, so the rest of the year I will be posting at a rate of one a week (on Saturday, the day the top40 was broadcast) my countdown of fifty favourite #1 hits. At #3, we find Ultravox with Vienna (#1 in 1981). This was a prime example of a new kind of pop music burst on the scene as reaction on the seemingly unstoppable rise of punk in the late seventies: the New Romantics, often with special videos as well. Art Rock score: 10/10 (brilliant song, one of the 200 best of all time).

YouTube